I don’t know about you, but when I am having a rough day and around the corner comes a coworker smiling from ear to ear, it catches my attention. First, I wonder what orneriness they are up to. If your coworkers are like mine, it could be anything! After that, a sense of happiness comes over me regardless of my current mood.
Smiles seem to have a ripple effect on people around them in the most wonderful way. Even if we want to fight it, a genuine smile can help turn a frown upside down.
Here are just a few more benefits of smiling:
- Smiling makes you seem competent and likable. Who doesn’t want that?
- Even forcing a smile can improve your mood!
- Smiles often help curb that pesky anxiety a lot of us have.
- You sound friendlier on the phone with a smile on your face. Try it – it’s crazy how true this is!
- You attract other smiling people with a beautiful grin, so you might find yourself suddenly surrounded by your favorite people.
We could have lists upon lists of the benefits of smiling but we will leave it at that. Don’t forget that when you are feeling lonely, down, stressed out, or you have a bit of road rage, plaster a big fat smile on your face and feel the serotonin rush. Maybe you need to fake it till you make it and that’s okay. Find your happy folks! When you’re happy, we’re happy!